Many customers seeking assistance may struggle with everyday expenses such as; mortgage or rent payments, food, transportation and childcare expenses. When adding energy bills to the mix, prioritizing monthly expenses can become overwhelming for some families.
The good news is the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program can help. The CARE program provides monthly credits toward energy bills as well as gradual forgiveness of past-due balances. Enrollment for CARE starts Oct. 1 and is available until spaces are filled.
Tips to Apply for CARE:
1. Reach out to your local non-profit agency by dialing 2-1-1. By dialing 2-1-1, you can get in contact with several agencies that may be able to assist with other expenses such as mortgage or rent payments, food and clothing.
2. Make sure you have all necessary documents on hand. Before applying for the CARE program, have the following items handy to efficiently complete enrollment:
- A copy of your most recent Consumers Energy bill
- Social Security card of the person applying for CARE
- Driver’s license of the applicant
- Proof of all household income received the previous 30 days
As a CARE enrollee, you may also be eligible to receive no-cost, in-home energy efficiency upgrades to help reduce your energy costs. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Consumers Energy at 877-448-9433 or visit ConsumersHelpingNeighbors.com.
Learn more about our CARE program and find out if you are eligible: http://bit.ly/CAREProgram2018.