Danger: Orange/Yellow Stove Burner Flames

Orange or yellow flames from your gas range, or “sooty flames,” indicate an incomplete burning of fuel and can put you at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Often called the “silent killer” with its colorless, odorless and tasteless properties, CO poisoning is responsible for nearly 400 accidental deaths in the United States each year.

What can you do?

  • Clean burners and ignitors. Once all electricity and other utilities (water and gas) have been turned off and/or disconnected on the appliance, clean all burners and ignitors of debris and grease.
  • Get your stove inspected. Contact a qualified gas technician or Consumers Energy representative at 1-800-477-5050 to have someone inspect the appliance and verify it is safe for use.

Suspect carbon monoxide in your home?

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and dizziness. Prolonged exposure can cause disorientation, convulsions, unconsciousness and eventually death. Follow these steps if you suspect carbon monoxide in your home:

  • Get everyone out of the house and into fresh air
  • Call 911 for immediate medical help
  • Do not re-enter your home under any circumstance until help has arrived, your house has been investigated and the problem is corrected
  • Call a qualified contractor or gas utility to have your appliances checked

For more safety tips, visit ConsumersEnergy.com/safe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s