Consumers Energy’s annual Intern Challenge encourages interns to develop creative solutions to meet needs in the communities we serve. This summer, nearly 90 interns gave their time to 18 nonprofit organizations. Top teams included:
Overall Intern Challenge Winner: Consumers Troopers
- Members: Davida Lowe, Caity Hines, Anna MacDonald, Kameron Glenn, Paige Dotson, Amanda Moya, Nicole Corla
- Team goal: Inspire a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) in girls
- Nonprofit: Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan (Jackson)
- Impact: Helped Girl Scouts apply STEM principles to construct a picnic table
- Takeaway: “With all of the turmoil that is going on in the world, now is the time to unite for our community.” – Davida Lowe
Large Team Category Winner: Southwestern Interns
- Members: Rob Repke, Tyler Root, Michael Bell, Sarah Sellers, Travis Spears, Brandon Holtz
- Team goal: Take full advantage of the challenge by making a large impact in the community
- Nonprofits: Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry (Kalamazoo) / Verburg Park (Kalamazoo)
- Impact: Provided 251 kids with a week’s worth of meals. Beautified Verburg Park.
- Takeaway: “If we want to make the world a better and safer place to live, then we have to make it happen. It doesn’t matter the size of the service project, every hour spent volunteering can make a great impact.” – Rob Repke
Small Team Category Winner: Dream Team
- Members: Walter Stevenson III, Matthew Rennell, Bradley Harris, Deija Morton
- Team goal: Increase availability of fresh, healthy food for lower income families in metro Detroit
- Nonprofits: Forgotten Harvest (Oak Park) / Growing Hope (Ypsilanti)
- Impact: Prepared 500 sandwiches and 2,432 lbs. of beef sticks, feeding approximately 2,932 people. Helped renovate a future farmers market.
- Takeaway: “After my community has poured so much into me, it’s great to be able to give back. The satisfaction I get from helping others is unlike any other.” – Walter Stevenson III
Learn how we’re working to build stronger communities at ConsumersEnergy.com/sustainability.