Dangerous weather may happen without much notice − but that doesn’t mean your family or business can’t be prepared. Safety is top priority at Consumers Energy, and we promise to work together for safer Michigan communities.
Here is a VIDEO: Prep Before the Storm along with the top five tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- Gather Water, Food and Medication – Your family should have a 3-day supply of water bottles, canned foods and any medication needed just in case a bad storm delays food supplies
- Have First Aid Kits Ready – It’s important to keep and regularly fill two first aid kits − one for the house and another for a vehicle. Be sure to add a whistle if your family needs to signal for help during an emergency
- Assemble Battery-Operated Tools – Keep a flashlight, battery-operated lantern and radio ready to help your family remain safe. Don’t forget extra batteries to keep the tools working properly
- Keep Cash on Hand – If ATMs and credit card machines are out of order because of a storm, be sure to have extra cash to spend on any supplies your family may need
- Create a Communication Plan – Last, but certainly not least, devise a communication plan for your entire family to follow during a storm. This safety procedure should include where to go if your family becomes separated and which phone numbers should be memorized. Businesses should have a plan to notify employees
Check out more storm prep tips to keep your family safe all year.
Did You Know?
You can be the first to get estimated restoration times. Sign up for text alerts by texting REG to 232273 (CECARE) and providing your account number when prompted. Standard text charges may apply.