As a young man fresh out of college, I spent six years in the U.S. Navy, conducting patrols on nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines and then working in a shipyard on a new construction submarine. I proudly served alongside people of different ages and backgrounds, and faced challenges and opportunities many young people could only dream of. At a young age, I learned the importance of the various experiences and talents my fellow service men and women brought to the team. It’s been a great honor to carry this learning over to my career at Consumers Energy.
As a veteran and firm believer in the value of a diverse workforce, I’m honored to serve as the Executive Sponsor for the newly formed Veterans Advisory Panel (VAP). With a history of intense training, strong work ethic and deep comradery, veterans bring unique value to our company, but they also can face challenges when adjusting to the civilian workforce. VAP will provide a group that understands and can support the unique obstacles veterans often face. In addition, VAP will leverage connections to recruit top-notch veterans for our company and support them as they develop successful careers in the energy industry.
With the growing number of Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), Consumers Energy is uniquely suited to care for our employees and ensure everyone has a place at the table. I’m excited to see what we can accomplish with this new organization.
Current Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) include:
- Veterans Advisory Panel – They offer career development and support to employees who are former and active military members, as well as assist with recruitment and retention of veterans.
- Minority Advisory Panel (MAP) – Promotes a culture of diversity and inclusion among all races and ethnic minorities through education, leadership, development and networking.
- Women’s Advisory Panel (WAP) – Supports the retention, development and success of women.
- Women’s Engineering Network (WEN) – Creates an inclusive network in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- The Pride Alliance of Consumers Energy (PACE) – Promotes an inclusive environment that is safe, supportive and respectful for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender persons and allies.
- GEN-ERGY– Bridges the gap of learning, networking and mentoring across the generations of our workforce.
Apply to join our team at http://www.ConsumersEnergy.com/careers.