When Michigan storms hit, Consumers Energy hits back with all hands on deck. With help arriving daily from out-of-state crews, work continues around the clock to safely restore power to Michigan customers following the company’s largest Christmas-week storm in its 126-year history and its largest ice storm in more than 10 years.
As of 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, about 174,000 customers were without power. In all, the storm caused more than 303,000 outages, or nearly 17 percent of the company’s 1.8 million electric customers. PHOTOS: Power restoration and storm damage VIDEO: How Consumers Energy restores power in Michigan.
Currently, the estimated power restoration schedule for the hardest hit areas is:
Today: Saginaw County. Wednesday: Gratiot, and northern Kent counties. Thursday: Allegan, Ionia, eastern Kent, and Montcalm counties. Friday: Portions of Barry, Calhoun, Kalamazoo and Shiawassee counties, western Kent County and greater Grand Rapids. Saturday: Some portions of Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Ingham, Livingston, Oakland and Ottawa counties.
Reporting an outage and getting updates:
Consumers Energy customers can report a power outage and get restoration updates via the online outage map at www.ConsumersEnergy.com/outagemap or by calling 1-800-477-5050. The outage map may be accessed by both computers and mobile devices.
Staying safe and warm when the power goes out
- Please stay at least 25 feet away from any downed wires and report them immediately by calling 9-1-1 or Consumers Energy at 1-800-477-5050.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family members who have limited mobility to see if they need assistance. Please do not call 9-1-1 or 2-1-1 for power restoration estimates.
- To find an emergency warming shelter near you, call 2-1-1 or visit the American Red Cross at http://app.redcross.org/nss-app/.
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, basement or near any air intakes, and never fuel a generator when it is running.
- Never use ovens, propane grills, etc. to heat their homes, for risk of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning