There have been several reports of people falsely representing Consumers Energy employees in Michigan communities. These can be on the phone, via email or at the door. Incidents include offering to pay a bill and requesting entrance to the home.
Customers with questions or concerns that they may have participated in a scam should call Consumers Energy at 1-800-477-5050.
All Consumers Energy employees carry photo identification. To verify that an individual is a Consumers Energy employee, you should ask to see an ID or call 1-800-477-5050 to verify. Some employees use their own vehicles with a magnetic sign of the Consumers Energy logo. Meter readers use a small, handheld device to read meters and record usage. Contractors authorized to perform work for Consumers Energy also carry photo identification.
Protect Yourself From Impostors
To help protect yourself and your home from scam artists or impostors, follow these precautions:
- If someone comes to your door when you have not requested a specified service, such as a furnace inspection, ask for company picture identification
- Never open your door to a suspicious person
- Do not give cash to anyone for work you have not requested
- Call your local police for assistance if you feel threatened
- Report any suspicious activity to local police
- Note the description of the person(s) for police, but do so from a safe distance
- Get a description of any vehicles that were used; again, do this from a safe distance
- Additional tips on avoiding utility fraud are available on the Michigan Public Service Commission