In 2012, our meter readers experienced a record number of dog bite incidents. To help ensure safety, our employees will no longer enter a yard to read a meter where there is believed to be an unrestrained dog. Even the most gentle, well-mannered dog can become protective and aggressive around people it doesn’t know.
You can obtain the meter reading schedule for your home by accessing our website at www.ConsumersEnergy.com. Once there, an eServices profile can be quickly established or accessed and a meter reading schedule obtained by clicking on “My History,” then “Energy Use,” and then on the “Meter Reading Schedule” tab. This information will provide you scheduled dates when a meter reader is expected to visit, and allow you to take appropriate actions with your pets.
If your dog must be loose near the meter, you can avoid estimated bills by reporting meter reads electronically through an eServices profile on our website, by calling us our toll-free at (800) 477-5050 or by reporting through Postcard Read Program (to sign up for this program please email us your information).
Tips for Preventing Dog Bites
Here are some tips provided by the United States Postal Service and the Humane Society of the United States on how to responsibly handle your dog and avoid having it bite.
- When a service provider comes to your home, keep your dog inside, away from the door, in another room or on a leash.
- Don’t let a child or other family member get close to a service provider in the presence of your dog. A dog’s primary instinct is to “protect” its family.
These additional tips for service providers could also help prevent dog bites:
- Don’t run past a dog. The dog’s natural instinct is to chase and catch prey.
- If a dog threatens you, try not to scream. Avoid eye contact; try to remain motionless until the dog leaves, then back away slowly until the dog is out of sight.
- Don’t approach a strange dog, especially one that’s tied or confined.
- Always let a dog see and sniff you before you pet the animal.
We are committed to providing you with a timely and accurate meter read. Thank you for helping to keep our employees as safe as possible!