Help For Those Who Need Payment Assistance

Scroll down to content

With the heating season upon us, now is the time to get the word out about payment assistance programs. When you help our customers understand the options that are available, you can help protect them from having their gas or electric service shutoff. If you know someone will have difficulty paying their energy bill, have them call us toll-free at 800-477-5050 for information about payment options and assistance programs.

Another resource that is available for people seeking assistance is to have them call 2-1-1 . This service is available in most counties in Michigan. Spearheaded by the United Way, 2-1-1 is a free phone service that links people with information or agencies that can help with utility assistance and other needs. Calls are confidential and answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Translation service is available. For more information, visit

There are also special programs for customers who are 65 and older and the head of the household.  This group of customers may qualify for shut-off protection, no late payment charges and automatic eligibility for payment plans regardless of income.  If you know of someone in this category, have them call us at 800-477-5050 or e-mail

Another option is the Earned Income Credit (EIC), a refundable federal income tax credit for low-income workers. Those who qualify will owe less in taxes and may get a refund. Even a person who does not generally owe income tax may qualify for an EIC, but must file a tax return to get the credit. Those who are married, must file jointly to qualify. To file, fill out IRS Form 1040 or 1040A and attach the EIC form. People who were raising a child in their home in 2010, may be able to boost each paycheck during the year with Advance EIC. They should request form W-5 from their employer or call (800) 829-3676.

Links to various payment options are listed below. This listing is also available in an online brochure that is also available in Spanish.

Emergency Programs
Call 2-1-1. Get Help
Medical Emergency Protection
State Emergency Relief (SER) Program
The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW)

Military Program
Military: Shut-off Protection on Active Duty

General Energy Assistance Programs
Budget Plan 
Payment Arrangements
Third Party Notification
State of Michigan Programs 

Tax Credits
Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
State Earned Income Tax Credit (SEIC) 

Income Qualified Programs
Affordable Rental Housing
Consolidated Vendoring Warrant Program
Home Heating Credit
Low Income Home Interest Loans
Low Income Weatherization
Shut-off Protection Plan (SPP)65+ (65 and over eligible regardless of income)
Winter Protection Plan (WPP)65+(65 and over eligible regardless of income)

Contact Us
Contacting Consumers Energy

%d bloggers like this: