Consumers Energy works with several organizations to assist communities with rural development. The Heartland Center is one such group who provided their expertise to several communities in our service territory. Their annual Webinar series is a great way to obtain affordable training for your team. Below is information on their upcoming sessions.
The Heartland Center for Leadership Development is now taking registrations for our new Leadership Development and Board Effectiveness webinar series. These five webinars on developing community leadership and building board member capacity will begin in June and conclude in October, 2010. Each webinar will be designed to provide interaction, discussion and feedback. Webinar participants will receive a packet of downloadable training materials that include session powerpoints and readings. Registrants will also be able to view the webinar via recording, so you can refresh your learning experience at any time. Webinars will last 60 minutes and will be hosted by an experienced team of Heartland Center trainers. This summer’s topics include:
- June 22, 2010, Leadership Styles and Practices: Learn what it means to be an effective leader. Assess your own leadership strengths and aspirations and create an action plan for building new skills and practices.
- July 13, 2010, Working with Groups: Managing effective meetings may seem simple, yet it’s often a challenging job for community development practitioners, whose role includes leading diverse groups to consensus and beyond.
- August 24, 2010, Engaging the Community: Outlines practical strategies for strengthening your organization through community participation and volunteerism. Once a project is off the ground and you have enough people engaged, this session will also help you maintain momentum.
- September 14, 2010, Stewardship Essentials: Explains the essential concepts of board stewardship and how stewardship applies to the board’s role in interpreting and updating an organization’s mission, strategy development, evaluation, resource development and being an effective emissary.
- October 19, 2010, Governance Effectiveness: Provides an introduction to tools, techniques and processes that effective boards use to plan and manage their meetings, document their decision-making, successfully navigate conflict, recruit and orient new members to board service. The webinar will also help clarify the dual governance roles of staff and board for developing organizational strategies and documenting progress.
Each webinar will start at 12:00 p.m. (Central) and end at 1:00 p.m. The training team includes Milan Wall, Vicki Luther and Kurt Mantonya from the Heartland Center staff and Gordon Goodwin, a former Heartland Center board member with expertise in building board capacity. The cost of each webinar is $59.99, or purchase the entire webinar series at one time for is $250.00, a savings of $49.99. Each registration entitles a single user to have more than one person attend at their computer in one site. Additional registrations from the same organization will be treated as another single registration.